Thirty Random Facts: A Blog Challenge
This is Day One in a Thirty Day Blog Challenge. I promise to do my best!
So here goes! Thirty Random Facts of nonsense about me.
- I love making outlines and graphic organizers so this is a perfect challenge for me! Thank you Miss Banana Pants. I’m hoping I’ll grow a little with your questions each day.
- I named my blog Cloud Nine Girl because I’ve been known to be a huge dreamer. Daydreamer, doodler, you name it. My head is in the clouds planning and thinking about all the what-ifs.
- I am Left-Handed and from what I’ve been told, that means I’m 10% of the backwards population. ;0)
- Superhero movies are also my favorite. Anytime! Anyplace! Hancock, The Avengers, Iron Man, the Hulk. I think it’s because they end happy. And doing impossible things to help others? I’d love to do that.
- I grew up in a zoo. Seriously. From the day I turned 13 I started volunteering in a zoo, studying animal behavior, and well, I cleaned up after them too.
- If I could pick a food today, I’d pick steak. I didn’t learn to like it until I went off to college, but that’s only because I’d never cooked for myself. Carrabba’s has a Steak Marsala that makes my mouth water…like now!
- I once had my hair cut like a boy. Short. Permed. The reason? I wanted to try out for Little Orphan Annie in the traveling production that came to my hometown. I never made it to try-outs, but I have all sorts of bad pictures to remind myself of that horrible haircut.
- I absolutely without a doubt disliked the color pink for most of my life. I think my mom and grandma filled my closet with pink clothes. I didn’t want to be a princess then, more like a bull in a china cabinet if you asked me. But I’ve grown UP. Now I have one or two pink shirts in my closet again. Sorry mom for fighting you so hard.
- I have never been able to get away with a single lie. I think I have at least 10 Jiminy Crickets on each of my shoulders. The few times I tried, I think I wore “I am lying,” all over my face. Yeah. A spanking. Grounded for a week.
- In the fifth grade I wrote a 5-page apology letter to my BFF for winning an argument over a hamburger. She didn’t want to eat where I did, but she went with me anyway. I felt terrible, but she still loves me.
- I am a living and breathing Tasmanian Devil. A room could fall apart the second I walk through the front door. My poor roommates in college. And organizing the house? Well, let’s just say it’s not the top priority when I get home every day. Sorry honey.
- I’ve been known to be an exercise junky. So when my son was born, and I went running for the first time after the 6-week all clear, my foot swelled up the size of a watermelon. I’d broke it when pregnant and didn’t know it and right now, I’m not quite brave enough to undergo the two surgeries to fix it.
- I couldn’t read until I was almost eight. I wrote backwards. I couldn’t make sense of letters. The doctors said it was because of a lazy eye. Who knows. What I do know is this, my first grade teacher saved me. She had the faith and dedication to work with me every day. She changed my life and now I am a reading junky.
- I am proud to say, I grew up in the Mennonite faith. Not all Mennonites wear black hats and ride on horses or in buggies. ;0)
- I am better with strangers than the people I know. I don’t like admitting it, but it’s true. I think I’m always so caught up in saying the right thing, thinking it has to be perfect. I know it doesn’t and it’s something I am working on.
- I love Gerber daisies. Especially a really pretty bundle of mixed colors. The bright red ones are my favorite.
- I am addicted to HGTV. I’d fall asleep to it every night if I could.
- I once dropped forty pounds in three months. How did I do it? I used to picture all the things I loved to eat as rotten and full of bugs until I couldn’t stand the smell or sight of them. My coworker thinks I’m weird because I don’t like donuts. I used to, but somehow, I sort of ruined them for myself.
- Climbing trees is one of my favorite things to do. When I see one, and when I have time, I like to dangle from the branches.
- I teach Yoga. It’s really fun! I never thought I’d like it because you have to be comfortable with being quiet, and I couldn’t do that for a very long time in my life.
- I became an aerobics instructor when I was nineteen to master my fear of standing up in the front of a crowd, which relates to the next item on my list.
- Public speaking is now one of my favorite things to do! I feel so full of life and energy, and I love reaching out to people. I love watching the light bulb go on when others relate to what I’m talking about.
- I am terrified of roller coasters. So when I turned 21, it was the first thing I Swore I had to do. Go to Worlds of Fun and ride every last roller coaster at least two times.
- I can’t do a headstand. So now I’ve set a goal for myself. This year, I will build the arm strength I need to finally, meet this challenge.
- I am not the biggest fan of Barbie Dolls. They serve their purpose. I had quite the collection of them at one point to fit in with my friends, but I LOVE Breyer Horses. I spent every last dollar of my allowance buying those things. I even went to a YMCA camp when I was twelve to learn how to ride and care for horses.
- I spoke like Shakespeare for an entire summer. I swore, before I went into high school, I had to like the way he wrote. So I read every story I could at the library, preparing myself for my future studies. The Tempest was my favorite back then because it didn’t end in death. At least, not that I can remember. I know. NERD!!
- I love to fish. The problem? I don’t like taking the fish off the hooks so I have to wear gloves. I think it freaks me out when they wiggle in my hands. I don’t want to hurt them and I once made it worse for a poor fish and he died when I finally got the hook out of his mouth.
- I love to travel. I’d go back to Scotland and Italy in a heartbeat, though Scotland trumps Italy, because everyone in Scotland kept kissing me on the cheeks. :0)
- I am plain terrible at Math. Chemistry falls into the same category. I’m such an experiencer and a visual learner, if I can’t see how it fits together in my head, there is no way I can remember how to make a formula work. Now biology? That subject is easy.
- I am a morning person. I always have been. My best friends used to get so mad at me when I’d sleep over. I wondered why my friends stopped inviting me for short periods of time. It’s because I’d fall asleep like clockwork about—oooh—9:00 p.m.
So there is day one! I hope I didn’t bore you to death.